What is kindness? The definition is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate or a kind act.
Now, this could be many different things to certain people depending on your perspective, right? Maybe it’s giving a friend a call or text to see if they need anything. Perhaps, helping cook for someone who is sick, or just smiling at a neighbor who sees you out. These are all acts of kindness. Ways that we care for one another.
Sometimes we let bitterness and selfishness get in the way of allowing us to be nice or caring to people.
Jesus gave kindness to us and showed us unconditional love in His sacrifice for us.
It is also a fruit of the spirit: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control ( Galatians 5: 22-23).
As I started thinking and praying about what to write, I noticed my church was having so much sickness and need in it. Several women have been stepping up cooking for people and families that are sick. Some are driving others to doctor appointments. This all made me think about how much I have kindness in my church. The ones who are unselfish with their time and even money. Loving others in our church enough to do what they need to, showing Christ love through their acts of kindness.
This inspires me to become better and more kind to others. We should all take the lead in seeing how Jesus everywhere He went was kind to everyone. He loved with all his heart.
So, here are some scriptures on kindness. For me, it gives me more understanding of the meaning of the word if I see it put to action in the Bible.
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12
- But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, Titus 3:4-5
- All bitterness, anger and wrath, shouting and slander must be removed from you, along with all malice. And be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, just as God also forgave you in Christ. Ephesians 4:31-32
- But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Luke 6:35
- Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.2 Corinthians 9:7
- From a wise mind comes wise speech; the words of the wise are persuasive. Kind words are like honey-sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. Proverbs 16:23-24
- Or do you disregard the riches of His kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you to repentance? Romans 2:4
- So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9
- He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but do it justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8
- And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, ” The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, Exodus 34:6
All these scriptures are about kindness, goodness, or how great our Lord is.
Prayer for you!
I pray you have an understanding and love in your heart that has opened your eyes. Bringing a light in the darkness of this world, showing love through you and your kind acts. Sprinkle your kindness like confetti, spread it everywhere. Making others see the light in you.