Lately, my church and my Bible study group have been talking about the Holy Spirit. I am learning so much. You see I grew up Catholic, but now I’m a Baptist. So, this is all kind of new to me because I never really heard much about the Holy Spirit. I’m so amazed that He does so much for us.
Yes, I know that I can talk to God. But, I always wondered how I could understand Him. Why did I feel like I had Him listening and talking back to me in my mind? Especially, when I knew I was doing something wrong. His Spirit was convicting me.
Through the studies, I am learning that we can understand the Word because of the Holy Spirit. He interprets and helps us understand the Word.
When I first started to read the Bible I was not saved yet. Even though I was trying to read and understand I still could not. Looking at the scriptures wondering what does that even mean? I know you probably thought that or even think that for some scriptures. Now, I know that the Holy Spirit helps me understand.
Jesus told his disciples that He would send a helper when He was gone. This would be the Holy Spirit. At the time the Spirit only hovered over the earth. He would be on prophets, but was not in people like He is today. How lucky are we? To have such Power in us.
John 14:16 says,” And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever.”
If you notice that Father, He, and Helper are all capitalized. This could only mean one thing. They are all the same, they are God. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Meaning He sent us an Advocate/Helper/Himself to be with us forever.
He is our Teacher, Advocate, Convicts us of our Sins, Revealer, Intercessor, Guide, and Spirit of Life. He is the same Spirit that was in Jesus. The Spirit that rose Jesus from the dead lives in us. So, why do we feel weak, sad, worthless, or depressed when we have Him inside of us. Well, He dwells in the believers.
“So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” 2 Corinthians 5:16-17
When you believe, you are a new creation. Thank goodness for that. You do not have to walk around with your past. Drop it and leave it. Believing in Jesus makes a new person out of you. Then, you will receive the Holy Spirit and all its power.
“So we boldly say : ” The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” Hebrews 13:6
Fill me up
- “But the Help, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that said to you.” John 14:26
- “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.” John 15:26
- “Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”
- “Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38
- Jesus drew near and said to them, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Go, then, to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples: baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I will be with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
- “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” Romans 8:26
- “But you, my friends, keep on building yourselves up on your most sacred faith. Pray in the power of the Holy Spirit” Jude 1:20
- “God poured out the Holy Spirit abundantly on us through Jesus Christ our Savior” Titus 3:6
- Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.” John 3:5-6
- “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 2 Corinthians 3:17
My prayer for you is to believe that you have the power of His Spirit inside you. Knowing that you can get through anything. You are not alone. If you are going through a hard time and need someone to talk to know that you have the Spirit in you. He is listening and if you can’t get it out. Know that your tears do all the talking. God knows your heart and can see who He made you to be. You just have to believe it. Repent of your sins. I know that I have to do this daily because we all sin. I hope that you feel that the scriptures will help you in times of need. Understanding that God gave us a helper to be with us forever. He never wants us alone.