Why did I get married?
That is a question we need to ask ourselves. It is so easy to get caught up in “Life” that our marriage gets put last. We have jobs, bills, kids, church, families, and households to keep up with that can distract us from our marriage. Mark 10:9 (NLT) – Let no one split apart what God has joined together. The devil loves to tear families apart and when we don’t invest in our marriage it opens the door to division. When we let the repetition of life steal our joy it can affect our marriage.
We need to light a fire in our marriage and keep it aflame! We need to remember why we got married!
Here are 5 tips to light that fire in your marriage.
- Always have respect! When you lose respect or start disrespecting your husband it puts that fire out. It’s so easy to complain about what our husband does or doesn’t do but that is being disrespectful. Always remember the good he does and appreciate it. Ephesians 5:33 (NLT) – and the wife must respect her husband.
- Submit to your husband! I know this is not what you want to hear but it is true. Colossians 3:18 (NLT) – Wives submit to your husbands, as it is fitting for those who belong to the Lord. When we don’t submit we are coming out of the will of God and how can we expect God to bless our marriage.
- Pray for your marriage! There is power in prayer! We shouldn’t only pray when something is wrong, we need to stay in constant prayer. We need to pray daily to keep our marriage strong, don’t take it for granted. Make sure your marriage is covered by the blood of Jesus. 1 Corinthians 7:14 (NLT) – For the believing wife brings holiness to her marriage.
- Flirt with your husband daily! Remember why you fell in love and flirt the way you did in the beginning of your relationship; keep that fire burning! Song of Solomon 4:9 (MSG) – You’ve captured my heart dear friend. You looked at me and I fell in love. One look my way and I was hopelessly in love. Look at your husband the way you used to. Check them out! Remind them how good looking they are!
- Make time to invest in your marriage! Talk to each other every day, text each other, plan date nights, plan a getaway. Invest time in your marriage! Hebrews 10:25 (NLT) – And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another.
So, let me ask, why did you get married?
Father, we thank you for the marriage you have blessed us with. Help us keep the fire going by respecting and submitting to each other. Keep us praying for our marriage daily so it can stay strong. Let us flirt together and look at each other in love. Most importantly remind us to invest in our marriage and remember why we got married!