Often we put off training because we don’t have time or feel we have better things to do. And with the quarantine still in place in some US cities, it’s difficult even for the most dedicated gym rats to keep up with their regimen. But by choosing exercises that can be done from the comfort of your living room in just a few minutes, you can get – or keep – yourself on the path to fitness.
For some of us, training at home is really difficult. We get distracted by family, pets, work, and social media. So how can we shape our bodies while staying at home?
[fancy_box id=5]Jumpstart your fitness with this free 5 Day Challenge[/fancy_box]
Why do bodyweight exercises
Bodyweight workouts are important for increasing strength and flexibility, preventing injuries, helping your circulation, and speeding up your metabolism. They are simple, and many of them are designed to be performed in small spaces quickly.
Another benefit of bodyweight exercises is their scalability. They are easy enough for novices but, by varying the form, speed, or repetitions, can still challenge even the fittest of athletes.
Finding the motivation to exercise is hard even when we have the time. The human brain has been hardwired to be lazy, and conserving energy is a survival mechanism. By saving energy today, you may be better able to run from lions, chase down antelope, and build a shelter tomorrow.
Simply knowing that it’s hard to motivate yourself to exercise can help overcome that hump. But if you’re not 100% mentally prepared, then your training session will not be as effective.
To get you in the mood, you can create your own workout playlist. But music alone won’t help you crush your workout; a good pair of earbuds will make sure nothing gets in your way.
A quick home workout routine
For the following home bodyweight workout, all you need are 10 minutes of your time and a small designated training area. Make sure that there is nothing to distract you while doing the exercises.
- Exercise: Plank
- Duration: Hold for 30 seconds, 10-second pause, repeat 4 times
- How to do: Get set in a push-up position with your hands directly beneath your shoulders. Pull your shoulders down and back and tuck your hips in. Your legs should be together and fully extended, and your body completely straight from head to toe. Hold that position for 30 seconds. Pause for 10 seconds. Then repeat 4 times. If that’s too easy, then lower yourself to your elbows, and even try it with one foot raised!
- Exercise: Walkouts
- Duration: 10 repetitions in total
- How to do: Stand tall with your feet about shoulder-width apart. Bend at the waist while keeping your knees as straight as possible, until you can place your hands on the ground. Slowly walk your hands out in front of you without moving your legs until you’re in a plank position. Do a push-up. Then walk your hands back in and return to a standing position. Repeat 10 times.
- Exercise: Body squats
- Duration: 20 repetitions, 10 seconds pause
- How to do: Stand with your feet slightly wider than your shoulders, toes pointing outward. Keep your chest tall and bend through your hips until your thighs are roughly parallel to the ground. Do not let your knees travel forward of your toes! Push through your heels, using your legs and glutes to come back to a standing position. A helpful hint: keeping your arms out front will help you balance. Do 20 repetitions, then rest for about 10 seconds, and repeat.
- Exercise: Glute bridges
- Duration: Hold for 5 seconds, do 20 repetitions
- How to do: Lie on your back and put your arms at your side. Bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the ground and about a foot away from your backside. Pushing through the heels to activate your hamstrings, lift your hips and back off the ground so that your weight is all in your heels and shoulders. Hold that position for five seconds, then release. Repeat for 20 reps.
[fancy_box id=5]Grow your faith & strengthen your body with 20+ Exercises You Can Do at Home[/fancy_box]
Make it fun
Exercising from the comfort of your home should not feel like a hassle. It is a great way to energize your day and give you confidence. All it takes is the right mindset, a bit of time, and floor space. Give yourself the opportunity to feel better about yourself. You deserve it.
About the Author
Christian Antonoff is a content writer at Independent Fashion Bloggers. He has worked as a journalist and is passionate about music, concerts, and coffee. Connect online via Linkedin or Twitter.
Leave a Reply